The Wharton Club of New York
Board & Annual Meeting
Monday, June 15, 2009
Hosted by Clifford Aronson Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Peter Hildick Smith
Thanks to Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP for hosting this meeting.
I. Chairman's Remarks (Nigel Edelshain)
The Chairman called the meeting to order at 7:15 pm and the board minutes of 03/09/09 was approved provisionally. The minutes will be fully approved once it is posted on the website.
A motion of approval was duly made, seconded and unanimously accepted.
II. President's Report (Kenneth Beck)
- The President reported the need to re-election Mr. Nigel Edelshain as Chairman. The motion to re-elect Mr. Nigel Edelshain was duly made, seconded and unanimously approved.
- The President reported that the Vice Presidents of the Club needed to be re-elected in order to continue their service for the Club. The President noted that the Vice Presidents served at the pleasure of the President with the advice and consent of the Board. The motion to re-elect each Vice President of the Club was duly made, seconded and unanimously approved.
- The President reviewed and discussed the status of the Joseph Wharton dinner. He stated that the nominations have been reviewed by the awards committee. The President noted that the economy is affecting the Joseph Wharton dinner. Accordingly, expenses have been strategically reduced so that the breakeven revenue amount has been reduced from last year. Sponsorship revenue was already at $80,000. The location of the Joseph Wharton dinner will be the Essex House.
- The President then discussed Communications. The President emphasized that there is a renewed focus on improving communications within the Club as well as the Club’s infrastructure.
- The President then discussed the need to develop election procedures for the Club. The President made a motion to establish a committee to develop election procedures and to have Dana Michael chair such committee. The motion was duly made, seconded and unanimously approved.
Finance Division – Rob Rizzo
Mr. Rizzo gave the Board the Treasury Report. Mr. Rizzo noted that the Form 9900 has been filed with the IRS. He also reported that the aggregate cash balance for the Club was approximately $475,000 and that such cash was held in 3 different bank accounts.
New Business - Nigel Edelshain
The Board discussed a suggestion of one Board member to consider organizing public policy events.
There being no other business to discuss the meeting adjourned at 8:15 pm.
Motion to adjourn the Meeting was duly made, seconded and unanimously accepted.
Minutes respectfully submitted by William Haddad