A must attend event for anyone interested in learning how to succeed in the retail industry.
The retail industry was already in the midst of unparalleled disruption. Then came COVID-19.
On April 20th, the Wharton Retail Network invites you to join esteemed Wharton Professor Barbara Kahn for a thoughtful and exciting discussion of her newly updated groundbreaking book, The Shopping Revolution: How Retailers Succeed in an Era of Endless Disruption Accelerated by COVID-19. Wharton professor Barbara E. Kahn, a foremost retail expert, examines the companies that have been most successful during a tsunami of change in the industry. She offers fresh insights into what we can learn from these company's ascendance and continued transformation in the face of unprecedented challenges.
Professor Kahn will touch on the following topics which are explored more deeply in her book:
- How companies in China, like Alibaba, JD.com, and Pinduoduo have changed the game.
- How Amazon became the retailer of choice for a large portion of the US population, and how other companies have chosen to work with them or have to compete against them.
- How Walmart beat out other grocers in the late 1990s to become the leader in food retailing, and how they must pivot to hold their leadership position today.
- How Warby Parker dared to compete against Luxottica in the lucrative eyewear business, and what that can tell start-ups about how to carve out a niche against a Goliath.
- How Sephora drew away customers from once-dominant department stores to become the go-to retailers for beauty products.
After an overview of her research and thoughts on retail moving forward, Barbara will take questions from meeting participants.
For questions about this event or if you would like to participate on a panel in a future event, please email Susan Teplitz, VP, Business Networking at email@example.com.
Tuesday, April 20, 2021
12:00 PM ET - 1:00 PM ET
WCNY Supporting Members - $10 (WCNY supporting membership costs $95/yr at Join/Renew Membership)
Other Wharton Alumni & Alumni Guests - $20
Gold & Benefactor Members - $0
Meeting Access Information:
A link, accessible by personal computer, tablet or smartphone, will be emailed to all registered guests 24-48 hours prior to the event to the "Primary Email" address listed in your profile. Please login to update your profile and confirm that the email address listed is correct. We will attempt to provide the ability to ask questions at the end of the presentation and time permitting.
Pre-registration is required. Please register early as events can and do sell out quickly.
Registration is subject to availability and will close on Tuesday, April 20th at 9:00am.
Registering from another Wharton alumni club? Click here for assistance.
Cancellations must be made at least 48-hours (business day) prior to the event date by sending an email to Gabriela Sanchez. Refunds or credits for future events are not available for any no-shows or late cancellations. Click here for full details.